Go to footer

The Great Brand Cross-Size Project (An Idea!)

Barbie, Jenny, Fashion Royalty, Obitsu and 1/6 resins - basically anything 10-12inch/21-27cm or in the neighborhood.

The Great Brand Cross-Size Project (An Idea!)

Postby MeltedCaramel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Okay, assembled dollieh lovers, if you've noticed or commented in my past few topics you'll notice I'm having some cross-brand issues with sizing. Now, I know a quick Google search will generally give you some okay info, but a) it's usually about the female dolliehs, and don't get me wrong, I love my female Obitsus as much as the next person, but I feel the male side of the equation is often sorely ignored. So, instead of a bunch of random Google searches and discriminating between male and female, I was thinking (hoping) that we could come together as a board and make a giant index of all of the various 1/6 brands and whose clothing will fit who, both female AND male dolls. So far I know that Taeyang generally fits 27cm Obitsu Slim Male bodies but can sometimes be on the baggy side, and that the male Dal is a decent fit for a 21/23cm Obitsu with the 23cm dolls having the possibility of being a tiny bit on the short side depending on the design (thanks for the info in the PM Pandor!!). I was hoping to include as many 1/6 brands as we can amass, including things like Medicom, Barbie and Ken, Power Team Elite (hey there DollyKim, you seem to be this brand's biggest fan and I can see why!), and I can even provide a few random tidbits like the assertion that Hot Toys clothing brand does NOT fit your standard True Type body despite some reports otherwise, but could possibly fit on a Medicom (I have yet to disrobe one to try). I was also hoping to include sizing for the Monster High/Bratz/Ever After crowd. Of course all "Off Brand" clothing (stuff like Re-ment that isn't targeted to a specific doll) is encouraged to be reported.

If this is something anyone is interested in or feels like taking pity on me and working with me on this, please tell me! And if something like this already exists...PLEASE send me a link! I generally find female Blythe cross charts and that's about it!!

So, any takers? *Hears crickets chirping already*
"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -Robin Williams
MeltedCaramel
the walls have dolliehs

Re: The Great Brand Cross-Size Project (An Idea!)

Postby MeltedCaramel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Yep, I'm hearing those crickets. XD *Chirp, chirp*

EDIT:
(Okay I got randomly paranoid, people, just please know I'm joking in this post. I realize it's late for many of you and that only five individual views have been had on this thing so far. I don't want people thinking I'm some impatient [insert your favourite expletive here],)

ANOTHER EDIT:
I realize how paranoid and uppity that first edit looks. It looks like I'm accusing people of not getting the joke. I'm sorry, I'm having some very serious physical medical issues at the moment that are making me stressed out and moody (I feel like I could sob right now and have NO clue why) and I apologize. Ugh. Life, it is kicking my ass hard.
"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." -Robin Williams
MeltedCaramel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby AnnetheCatDetective » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:12 am

This sounds like a very useful project!

Personally I've found certain things from Barbie and Moxie Girlz fit Hujoo 1/6th bodies... but that's all the experience I have, and I am always looking for new ways to clothe my little cats, so I definitely look forward to seeing who charts where. (especially if other dolls with MH proportions are out there...)
AnnetheCatDetective
i see dead dolliehs

Postby MeltedCaramel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 am

Thank you very much, AnnetheCatDetective!! Support, rally support! Like I said, 1/6 dolliehs get no love!! If it helps at all I know Monster High and Bratz can switch clothes like Sistahs...from what I hear. I only own one Clawdeen and zero Bratz, though their MH ripoff line was really tempting. I'd venture to say the quality looks like it outdid some of the MH girls. The Bratz MH!ripoffs were of course very generic characters but the QUALITY on their clothes...yay! Speaking of cats, I've never been into the cat sculpts but I just saw one that if I had money, I would order posthaste:

http://www.dearminedoll.com/oz.html HE'S NOT EVEN 1/6 AND I COVET HIM LIKE BURNING. I also ADORE the "Manticore" limited edition:
http://www.dearminedoll.com/king-manticore.html <---I love the bone-mask, hinting at the name. Manticores were legendary creatures from Persian mythology with the face of a man and the body of a lion, and the tail of a scorpion. They also possessed three rows of sharp teeth like a shark, and were said to eat their human victims whole, leaving no bone, no flesh, and no possession behind. I adore that the bone-mask is giving us a hint as to the name and the fierce legend behind it. *Sigh* Now where to find $700? Under my couch? Nope. I'm outta luck! XD

Wow, off topic much? :lol: I fail!

Anyway, anyone who contributes information gets their names listed in the credits page of the bottom of the project should it ever come to fruition. So far we have, DollyKim (my other thread still counts), Pandor, and AnnetheCatDetective. If I forget anyone please tell me. :oops:

Edit: I do not support MH or Bratz "more". I don't really have much to do with these dolls besides coveting various ones. I just mentioned the whole "ripoff" thing because there was a huge scandal in the respective fandoms involving it where it was kind of like:
MH!Fans: They totally ripped off Monster High!
Bratz!Fans: They did not!
MH!Fans: LOOK AT THEM.
Bratz!Fans: Okay so they totally did but ours are still better neener neener!
Both: IT. IS. WAR.

:lol:
MeltedCaramel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby ShadowKat » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:16 am

This sounds like a great idea (and a big undertaking)! Some of the 1/6th forums I belong to have created them in terms of "Here's all the important male figures. Here they are side by side." and that's about it. I don't think there's a list of what clothing fits who. I have to ask, do you also want some more action figure sized comparisons as well (Stuff like CY Girls, TTL, Hot Toys, Very Cool, Dollsfigure)? I have some of those bodies, as well as some clothing by them that I can break out if need be.

I can report that Bratzillaz (the MH ripoffs) clothing can fit the MH bodies, with modifications. The skirts sit up on the hips a bit more, and the tops have to be taken in quite a bit, but it's workable. The shoes will not fit Monster feet though (at least the 1 outfit I have is compatible. I saw the red-headed steampunk one at a thrift store for a couple of bucks and I had to have her 'cause she's surprisingly pretty. I'm having Hubby completely reshape those lips though).

Also, Winx dolls clothing will fit MH bodies. I have one set with leggings, and they fit really well. Again, the tops need modifications (these girls have much more realistically proportioned shoulders than Monsters), but it's doable with basic sewing knowledge. Their shoes will fit Monster feet, but the heels may stick out a little in close-toed shoes/boots. May need slight mods depending on the style and personal preference. I will say that I wouldn't let anything black from the Winx line anywhere near a dollieh until the dye's been washed out. My poor girl has horrible stains all over her legs and hips from the black lace on her leggings.

Also, I haven't forgotten about those pics I've promised, MeltedCaramel! Work's been hectic with the holidays and I haven't gotten a chance to upload them! :D
ShadowKat
Dolly Pardon

Postby MeltedCaramel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:09 am

ShadowKat, nice to see you posting again!! :D Also, I haven't forgotten those pictures either, the holidays are just so high stress I figured it had to be something like that!!

Also, when you say "action figure". are you talking things like Medicom, TrueType bodies, etc? Because yes, I would love to include them and all of their cross brand clothing options as well, both male and female!! I don't want to forget the females, but there is A LOT more on the net about them than the male dolls in terms of clothing swapping. And yeah, the whole "Here's a bunch of dudes lined up" photos don't really help when you're asking stuff like "Does an Obitsu 23 cm male fit a male Dal's clothing?". :roll:

I'm glad you seem excited about this too! I would LOVE to be able to create a cross reference for all of the owners who love to know what brand clothing fits their dolls, male and female alike!! I put focus on the males here because there is a SORE lack of information on them. It led to me doing things like buying Hot Toys outfits for True Type male bodies...on the surface the two look like they'd fit perfectly, but the True Type body is actually shorter than the Hot Toy body, leading to oversized, baggy pants and shirts.

Oh, also, the Bratzillaz you're talking about, do you happen to have a picture of her? I can't find a steampunk Bratzillaz but she sounds awesome!! And if you don't mind me asking...how does your hubby reshape vinyl? Do you mind asking? I'm curious if it's possible to sand and reshape things like the face shape and lips/mouth/etc.

I'm glad you're on board with this ShadowKat!! Hopefully more people will step up and we can have a proper cross-reference chart starting to take shape. I mean, we need info on male Isul dolls (the Isul is around 25 cm but on a lot of the male Isul dolls I've seen the clothing looks forgiving enough for a 27cm Slim Male Obitsu and I'd love if an owner of both could test this theory and report back!)

Yay, very slow progress but progress nonetheless!!! As for format, I was going to make it simple and user friendly. I'm going to list each doll, and list the other dolls clothing that will fit. I will do this with each doll, so it would look something like:

Obitsu 23cm Male
Male Pullip Dal clothing (some pieces may be a little short)

Pullip Dal-Male Version
Obitsu 23cm clothing (some pieces may be a little long)

I know the Obitsus don't have a clothing line, but I just wanted to show that I would index and cross reference so each and every doll owner looking for their doll can just find it and it will be cross indexed.

:D Oh I hope others step forward!!! This would be so amazing to do.
MeltedCaramel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby DollyKim » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:23 am

I did look at the measurements of my guys and thought I could try an XS-S-M-L-XL general size family. (extra small, small, medium, large, extra large) With Dragon/DML/most WW2 figures as the Large because they're a very standard size in the 1/6 hobby. Then you get someone like the BBI 3.5 with massive shoulders that throws the curve off. I could look through my pages and pages of measurement charts, I measure everyone I get my hands on, I could try again but anything worth doing is worth doing for money.

This is the closest I got to fitting as many guys as possible http://www.lulu.com/shop/kim-reed/dolfi ... 95581.html and I still had to make about a dozen different sizes with as many sharing as possible. Because it's such a nearly impossible task to be all things to all dolls I found it easier to teach people to draft their own patterns http://www.lulu.com/shop/kim-reed/the-d ... 84657.html

If you haven't seen the main page of my Little Encyclopedia with the group shots http://dolfielittles.com/encyclopedia.html you can see what kind of task this is. There's a pull down menu in the upper left hand corner that goes to individual brands. Some of the guys are absolutely massive compared to their friends. Dragon and DML would be the average height man, Sideshow, True Type, and Triad Omega would be six foot four.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Postby MeltedCaramel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:09 am

Thank you for your reply DollyKim! I'm not sure what you mean about doing for money...as in paying people to ask what fits who? I was hoping for this to be more of a project with community spirit behind it, not a pay-for thing. And I completely understand there is going to be that "odd doll out" that doesn't fit in with the rest, but there's really nothing I can do about that. This is more about amassing knowledge on clothing that is already out there, so if you see that really cute set of Dal clothes on Ebay for a great deal you can go "Oh, this will completely fit my Obitsu 21cm gal!" or "There's a really great chance that this is going to look good on my Obitsu 23cm girl!" I see people asking questions all the time about clothing from other brands fitting such-and-such model dolls. A simple example would be: Does Ken doll clothing fit the 27cm Slim Male Obitsu? (Or the EB Male body from Volks?) I wasn't going to take pictures of every single swap, just provide a general cross reference manual for those looking to find new pre-made clothing for their dolls.

ShadowKat's post already helped because it answered a question about Bratzillaz dolls versus MH dolls and she gave a tip that yes they fit, but you would need to have the skills (or know someone who does) to alter them a little bit. This would be noted in the index, but Bratzillaz (and Bratz) have tons of outfits being sold seperately and a collector might like to know that yes, that adorable Bratz dress she's been coveting will fit her MH doll with a little nip and a tuck.

I'm excluding shoes entirely from the equation and I am going to put a disclaimer about that at the top of the index. The different foot shapes make it nearly impossible to catalog them with ANY kind of reliability.

I know it's a big task, but I think it would be worth it and made a lot easier if people did this in the spirit of participation. :D I think it would be a fun thing for the community and something the whole group that participated can show off and say "I had a hand in making this", and above all it would be USEFUL. I'm tired of having to bother everyone with new threads constantly asking "whether this doll clothing would fit on this doll". It's not fun, and while everyone is extremely nice, these types of threads don't exactly thrive with conversation. It would be amazing to have a sort of "Unofficial Official Dollieh Sanctuary Guide To Cross-Brand Clothing For 1/6 Dolls" to point people to.

:lol: It's a big task, but if people are willing to help provide information, I'm willing to format that information into a chart that is as clear and concise as I can make it. I will list an outline of what dolls have been tested for the project, and if your doll type is on there, all you would have to do is ctrl+f your way to your doll of choice, each being listed under it's own brand label.
MeltedCaramel
the walls have dolliehs

Postby SetsunaKou » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:42 am

Would be happy to contribute information but since we make all our own clothing, I don't really know what fits what. ^^;;

The only thing I do buy with clothing are the Disney Store Princess dolls and I can say their clothing will fit Obitsu 27cm females very loosely and the DS Princess clothing will only fit modern Barbies (with the smaller busts). The older (1990s and before) Barbies are too busty to fit in the DS clothing. However, Disney Store 11" dolls can wear Barbie clothes from any generation. (Just the older Barbie stuff will be a tad loose at the bust.) DS princess 2011 or earlier shoes are like Barbie heels, so very small, and won't fit Volks/Obitsu. THe 2012-2013 'ballet flats' will fit Obitsu female feet and the Volks Midi and Beauty feet. (Not the EB line.)

The DS Prince 11" dolls are about Ken-sized, so they're pretty interchangeable with Ken. Their clothing is too short and large to fit on Obitsu Slim Males or Volks EBC, EBN or Neo Goh Guy.
The fit would be better for the Obitsu Regular Male and the Volks Neo Guy but again, the legs would be too short. (The DS guys are super short legged.) DS male shoes/boots will fit Obitsu Slim Male. They will fit Volks Neo Goh Guy and Neo GUy but loosely and the EBC/EBN even looser. (As in, falling off.)

Sailor Moon Irwin America and Irwin Canada and BanDai America dolls are all very large and will not fit the Obitsu or Volks female bodies without adjustments, particularly to the waists. Their feet are huge, so the boots/shoes, will not fit any fashion doll in the 1/6 scale unless you don't mind 'loose' falling off. Their feet are close to 1980s Hasbro Jem dolls but not quite. Those are not interchangeable. (Jem is still a bit larger/wider.)

Sailor Moon BanDai Japan, BanDai Asia, Giochi Preziosi (Italy), and Igel (Germany) are almost Barbie sized so their clothes will fit the modern Barbie (smaller bust) easily. The shoes will fit as well. This is the same for the SegaCharaDoll, Tomy Japan dolls and Takara Japan dolls. The clothing will fit Obitsu and Volks 27cm females for the most part, but some of the shoes will not fit the Volks in particular. (And some Obitsu, too.) The Takara will probably fit both Volks and Obitsu feet. (Takara feet are more normal and large. Not too 'fashion doll' type.)

Mmmmhmmmm, Re-ment shoes fit Obitsu 27, 25, 23, 21 cm females. The also fit the Volks Midi and Beauty line. (Not the EB line at all.)

The ToyBiz X-Men dolls from the 1990s are exact Barbie duplicate bodies and will fit any Barbie, even with the larger busts. They also fit Volks and Obitsu dolls well since they are 'spandex' and form fitting. Shoes will not fit Obitsu/VOlks at all.

I have a couple MH dolls and boys, and 2 Equestria Girls (MLP FiM) dolls if you want info on those, but I KNOW most people here are much more informed and knowledgeable about the MH than I. ^^ :laughs:

I really don't know much more than that-----gomen nasai, MeltedCaramel-san! If I think of anything, I'll let you know.
SetsunaKou
Iz dolliehs Here

Postby DollyKim » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:12 am

Anything worth doing is worth doing for money is one of the Rules of Acquisition from Star Trek. It means to me if I'm going to put hard work in to something I want a good reason to use my time and resources. Many life experiences went in to the decision and for now I'm sticking with it.

I spent years trying to figure out drafting patterns, measuring, and working stuff out. I could put out all the bust-waist-hips-etc I have for free but at the present time I don't see a good reason. I've posted free patterns and tutorials, I give a lot of free advice and will continue to, my drafting sheets just aren't on that list.

*And I'll continue to help where I can with what clothes fit and what ones don't. Most of my guy clothes are home made though.
DollyKim
Dr. Dollittle

Next

Return to Board index

Return to 1/6 Scale